I Have a New Favorite: Emily Wilde's Encyclopaedia of Faeries

Review: Emily Wilde's Encyclopaedia of Faeries


Title: Emily Wilde's Encyclopaedia of Faeries

Author: Heather Fawcett

Publisher: Del Rey Books 

Publish Date: January 10, 2023


If you've been following me for a while now, you probably know I love anything to do with the fae, witches, and cottagecore in general. That is why Emily Wilde's Encyclopaedia of Faeries was one of my most anticipated reads of 2023. I ending up spending probably more money than I should have on a secondhand copy of the Fairyloot edition. 

Let me tell you something: I am so happy I did because Emily Wilde's Encyclopaedia of Faeries is one of my favorite books of all time. The writing style was perfect. The plot was perfect. The setting was perfect. The prose was perfect. The characters were to die for. The fae were so utterly interesting I could not put this book down. I literally finished this book in a day. I forgot to eat and drink, I was so absorbed in this book (don't do that). But it is one of my favorite books of all time. I haven't read a book like this in a while, probably since I read Gemina by Amie Kaufmann and Jay Kristoff. Now, when someone asks me what my favorite books is, I get to say something new: Emily Wilde's Encyclopaedia of Faeries. 

If you like the smart prose of Olivie Blake and R.F. Kuang and would like more of the with footnotes BUT are really interested in cozy fantasy and somewhat low stakes, you will enjoy Emily Wilde's Encyclopaedia of Faeries. This book is written like an academic journal detailing important research notes for Emily's trip to Hransvik. Hransvik is a tiny village in the middle of nowhere where Emily is researching the last bit of faeries to finish off her encylopedia (hence the title). She is the first researcher of fae in this area, so initially the townsfolk aren't sure how to act around her. They are also not interested in her disturbing the Hidden Ones because that might mean bad things for their village. 

Emily's journey is not off to a good start when fellow academic researcher/rival Wendell Bambleby shows up one morning on her doorstep with two research students. As you know, I love my swoonworthy male protagonists and Bambleby is just that. So incredibly swoonworth. I love Emily's dynamic with him. She is definitely not as impressed as others. 

This book is very light on romance and there is no spice whatsoever, but do not discount this book. The greatest word for this book is charming. You will be charmed by the plot and characters that you do not mind the little romance. 

*slight spoilers below*
I laughed so much at Emily's and Bambleby's whimsical story. The things they get themselves into just made me enjoy this book so much more. Everything was written so smart and thoughtful that I want to read this book again and again to pick up more details. I also enjoyed the last fourth of the book where Emily accidentally gets engaged to the fairy king. It seemed a bit out of nowhere but I loved the detail it added to the story and the information it gave us about the fae of Hransvik. 

You will come out of this book thinking the Hidden Ones enchanted you so that you cannot wait for more of this in book two. I cannot gush enough about this book. Please do yourself a favor and read this one. I need someone to talk about it with - my husband has heard enough about it already. 


Goodreads | StoryGraph | Amazon | B&N

Post a Comment

0 Comments