Review: The Davenports

The Davenports by Krystal Marquis


Title: The Davenports

Author: Krystal Marquis

Publisher: Dial Books

Publish Date: January 31, 2023


**Slight spoilers below

The Davenports was an interesting transport back to the early 1900s. The plot is similar to that of the Bridgerton-era, but this books features an all black cast and takes place in Chicago. I don't know much about this time, but I loved how the author tied in these love stories with the civil rights movements. Living in the north, the main characters don't see too many of the Jim Crow laws popping up in the south, but that doesn't stop them from wanting to take a stand. Their father has a direct tie to slavery in his past, but the Davenport parents decided to shelter their kids and keep them from seeing the worst of things. Most of the focus at the beginning was on love, money and status, but I loved the evolution of Olivia's character, who seems quite ditzy at first but then begins to take a stand and participate in protests. I also learned so much about this era and how Black Americans were treated during this time period. It focused on something I had never learned about before in schooling and helped piece together instances in history. 

I fell in love with each of the four main characters stories in The Davenports: Olivia, Helen, Amy Rose and Ruby. I tend to go back and forth on whether or not I enjoy multiple POV narrations, but I loved the focus on the four different women in The Davenports and how their lives are vastly different but still tied together. I don't have a favorite girl or one who I thought should get focused on more, so I loved how these multiple POVs added to the story. I loved each of their storylines and seeing how they grew as people. 

The romance was perfection. I would squeal as I read because everything was swoon worthy. I truly felt the romance and rooted for everyone. My favorite couple was probably Ruby and Mr. Barton. I loved their interactions, and I know she was just using him at first but I could tell they were going to fall in love. I also loved Helen and Mr. Lawrence and how they weren't supposed to fall in love because he was betrothed (almost) to another. Such drama that had me giggling and smiling to myself. 

The ending absolutely wrecked me. Going in, I knew there would be another book, but I still had high hopes. The main cast was happy with their chosen significant others, but that just had to be ripped away at the end of the book. My emotions were a wreck reading through every plot twist none to man so none of them could be happy. Needless to say, I need book two ASAP. 

I highly recommend you read The Davenports. It is such a good read full of twists and turns, and it doesn't shy away from important issues affecting the cast in this time period. If you like Bridgerton but want more from the characters and want a variety of love stories, read The Davenports. Also, it has a gorgeous yellow/gold cover that looks amazing on any shelf. 

Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Book Depository

Post a Comment

0 Comments