Review: Antisocial


29905900

Review: Antisocial by Jillian Blake


Title: Antisocial
Author: Jillian Blake
Pages: 256
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Publish Date: May 16, 2017
Genre: YA Mystery


Synopsis: Alexandria Prep is about to be exposed.
Senior spring was supposed to mean sleeping through class and partying with friends. But for Anna Soler, it’s going to be a lonely road. She’s just been dumped by her perfect basketball star boyfriend—with no explanation. Anna’s closest friends, the real ones she abandoned while dating him, are ignoring her. The endearing boy she’s always had a complicated friendship with is almost too sympathetic.
But suddenly Anna isn’t the only one whose life has been upended. Someone is determined to knock the kings and queens of the school off their thrones: one by one, their phones get hacked and their personal messages and photos are leaked. At first it’s funny—people love watching the dirty private lives of those they envy become all too public.
Then the hacks escalate. Dark secrets are exposed, and lives are shattered. Chaos erupts at school. As Anna tries to save those she cares about most and to protect her own secrets, she begins to understand the reality of our always-connected lives:
Sometimes we share too much.

I wanted to review Antisocial because I actually finished it, and I didn't finish it because I loved it. I was sort of indifferent to this book because a lot of things, but it was one of those books I had to finish and I wanted to talk about.

I was really intrigued by this concept going in. I thought the blurb sounded so interesting, and I could not wait to read it, which was why I brought it to the front of my reading list. The concept of a cyber leak is so relevant to today's society, which is why I was eager to see how the author carried it out. It could have gone either way, but this books was not one of my favs. I thought it was kind of meh.

My main problem with this book was the writing style. Something major happened towards the end (which I'm not going to spoil bc spoilers) because of the leaks, something which I believe should never be taken lightly, but it seemed as if the author was like, "Oh, this happened to propel the story further. Oh well." Like it was MAJOR, but that was how it seemed to me, just an event that was needed to progress the story.

This book tries to touch on the topics of anxiety and depression, but the way it was written made it seem like another plot element. I don't think it was taken as seriously as it should have been.

Another issue I had with this book was the resolution. Anna, the main character, solves everything by herself with her art project. Like seriously? After all of that (including the major spoiler?!), it's just over with no repercussions or anything. Everyone is friends again and blah blah blah. I did not like the ending.

This book was okay, nothing life changing. It was meh. The concept could have been really cool, but it did not follow through.

Post a Comment

0 Comments