Talk, Talk, Talk

Communication Skills




This was something that I dealt with this week, and I had forgotten how important- how necessary- it is in pretty much everything we do. It's not just blogging. Communication skills are everywhere. Doing my college research, I have come across that communication skills is something that most employers look for since they are so scarce. With my #BasicBookBlogger (this ties in, just wait) I have decided to make a post about it.

My Story

Recently, I've been working with this publicity group. They emailed me about a book that they were promoting, and I decided to enter the tour. The tour has ended up having three-four posts so far, which I saw as ridiculous. I'm sick and tired of posting about this book, so I bet my readers are sick and tired of hearing about this book. I haven't even read it yet (it's on my TBR), so I was just getting annoyed by it. It seemed as if every week I was getting new emails for the next leg of the tour.

Everything looked the same to me.

Each post felt as if I was posting the same stuff over and over again, so in my highly annoyed state, I decided to email the publicity group. I explained my thoughts on the whole thing, and even asked if this was any thing different. I was a bit nervous after I had sent it but I was speaking my mind.

And you know what they told me?

I understand what you are saying.

They gave me advice on what to make different and how I could make the post completely my own. They thanked me for contacting them and letting them know of my concerns. And here is something that I had to take a screen shot of because it really means a a great deal:


And that right there is pretty much the essence of this post. Communication goes a long way.

Everywhere and Anywhere

Every single day of your life, no matter if you're a high school student or an adult, communication is the key.

If you do not speak up with what concerns, problems, whatever you might have, it is not going to be dealt with. You're just going to sit there sulking at the world because you just have to go with it.

If you want to get somewhere or get something, what are you going to have to do? That's write talk to them. Email them. Text them. DM them for all I care. Just somehow let them know because they may be unaware of the problem.

If you want to get anywhere in life, you're going to have to talk it out.

Don't know how to write that seven page essay due tomorrow? Ask.

Don't know where you're supposed to put the extra toilet paper? Ask.

Can't find when that book comes out? Ask.

Be An Effing Chatterbox

People don't bite (typically). They are normally happy to help and answer as many questions/concerns you have.

So don't be afraid.

Ask them that question you've always wanted to. What is that saying, the only dumb question is that left unasked? Well, that's true.

Talk their ear off because that helps you (and them) become better at what they day. Maybe in the future they may not do as many posts or something. There is no harm in sending a simple email.

Please don't be rude about it. People are happy to help until they read something rude; it just puts them in a bad mood. Trust me, I know from experience.

What have you always been afraid to ask/tell someone? Is communication key? Let me know in the comments!

Post a Comment

2 Comments

  1. I'm a big introvert, which is a bad thing. My parents always feels annoyed whenever I don't speak about anything (I even hesitate to get a waiter's attention in a restaurant to ask for a tissue). I don't know why, but confidence in speaking to others has always been a tough job for me, especially in real life (it's a miracle I even made it this far in blogging). I think it's the fear of being judged... I'm not really sure.

    However, thank you so much for this post. I think I'll try and ask questions for things I'm not sure of more than not asking (which is what I usually do). Hopefully I can overcome my fears. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! It's always nice to hear that my posts push people to do something. Communication is always key, and as a fellow introvert, I understand your struggles. As I get older, I'm beginning to care less and less about what people think about me. Other's opinions do not matter because they are just that, opinions. Everyone has the right to one, but it doesn't mean that you have to listen to them.

      Overcoming your fears is a hard feat but totally worth it in the end. I suggest building confidence in yourself. Tell yourself every morning when you wake up, "I am effing amazing. I'm awesome no matter what happens today." I do that, and although it sounds cheesy, it actually works. Also, if you're feeling nervous, take a deep breath. It's surprising how calming it is.

      And you know what, if those people get annoyed by you for asking a question, screw them. They are not worth your time. Find someone who can trust that can help. I suggest Facebook groups. NoseGraze just wrote an awesome blog post about this one. (I got it in my inbox lol.) FB Groups are the bombdiggity (I don't think I spelled that right) because it's a community where you can ask questions and get valid feedback.

      Thanks for the awesome, super long comment! I hope what I said helps. And if you ever need anything, email me! Remember, be basic.

      #BasicBookBlogger
      -kayl

      Delete