My First Audiobook (Maybe Not But My First Review): Champion

Review: Champion by Marie Lu (Audiobook)


Title: Champion
Author: Marie Lu
Publisher: Penguin Audio
Publish Date: August 1, 2013
Genre: Science Fiction, Young Adult

Synopsis: June and Day have sacrificed so much for the people of the Republic and each other and now their country is on the brink of a new existence. June is back in the good graces of the Republic, working within the governments elite circles as Princeps Elect while Day has been assigned a high level military position. But neither could have predicted the circumstances that will reunite them once again. Just when a peace treaty is imminent, a plague outbreak causes panic in the Colonies, and war threatens the Republics border cities. This new strain of plague is deadlier than ever, and June is the only one who knows the key to her country's defense. But saving the lives of thousands will mean asking the one she loves to give up everything he has. With heart-pounding action and suspense, Marie Lu's bestselling trilogy draws to a stunning conclusion.

I know what you’re all thinking Miss I-only-read fictional books picked up an Audiobook? Yup, and here’s a brief explanation why. In the year of 2016, I have decided to expand my reading horizons. I started with Binge by Tyler Oakley (stay tuned for a video review coming sometime soon) which was a nonfiction autobiography-type novel. If you’ve read my review policy, you should know that I don’t read nonfiction. At all. Well, I’m expanding my horizons which is why I’ve picked up an Audiobook. For more on my thoughts about listening to audiobooks and why I’ve started to read them, click +HERE.

Champion is the last book in a series that I haven’t read. I did not know that picking it up. I assumed it was the first book, and actually didn’t discover it was the last book in a series until about four days after checking out the book when I decided to read the back. It’s not the first time I’ve done this, and tbh I should probably stop doing it but it’s kinda fun. Now I know that the series ends on a suspenseful note, I could read it.

(If you couldn’t tell, I’m not doing my normal formatting for this review.) (Deal with it.)

Basically, when I started listening to Champion, I had no idea what was going on. But that really didn’t hold me back. It was as if Marie Lu somehow knew that I would eventually pick this book up and read it without reading the other two. Technically, from my standpoint at least, you don’t have to read the other books in the series to fully enjoy Champion. Lu does an extremely well job of writing and describing everything. I didn’t think I missed out on much starting with the last book. Everything was explained.

Day was an amazing lead character. I loved him and what he stood for. He was just awesome and a great person. His flaws were so well written. He was very well written. I felt as if I knew Day. He had so much passion for his country and his younger brother, Eden. Also, I love how he is around authority figures. He never changes who he is for anyone. I loved Day’s relationship with June. They had so many problems and struggled through so much together. They were made for each other.

The suspense in Champion had my heart pounding. I never wanted to stop listening to it. The characters in champion were put through so much, and it was never clear who was going to make it out alive. People escaped death and tried to kill others. Someone let someone else get shot because she wouldn’t hurry up with her gun. I wanted to scream throughout most of the novel. A good scream though.

I loved the world Lu created. Antarctica, Africa, the Republic, and the Colonies. They were all magnificent places. My personal favorite was Antarctica. Just imagine living there with the point system. It sounds like the next plot for the next big dystopian novel. I would love a book from someone living in Antarctica. It can’t be perfect. I would totally be the first to review it if a certain author would like to write it. (Marie Lu I’m looking at you.)

Champion is an amazing book, and I cannot wait to read the first two books in the trilogy. It was that good that I want to go back and read everything now that I know that ending. I was going to put again in that sentence but then I remembered I hadn’t read it before.

I loved Champion. It was amazing, and I think the next time I’m going to “read” it, I’m actually going to read it instead of listening to an audiobook. That thing took eight hours when I could’ve probably read it in about three.

Post a Comment

0 Comments