I Don't Like Contemporary

I Don't Like Contemporary



I'm just coming off of a very busy month for me, so I hardly got in any reading with the end of school and whatnot (why do they throw all of the projects in the last two weeks wth), but what I did read was.... dun dUN DUNNNNNNN

CONTEMPORARY! 


I know right? I rarely read contemporary but last month that was all I could read. I tried to read the first book in the Magnus Chase series by Rick Riordan, but couldn't finish it. My mind couldn't handle all of the sci-fi stuff which was crazy. TBH, I hated it. Sci-fi is my go to in the book world and it just really sucks when I can't get into what I love. It was flipping weird, and I'm still not fully right.

During the month of May, I read 3 contemporary novels: Tell Me Three Things, Scarlett Epstein Hates It Here (reviewless), and Unrivaled. And they were all speed reads too. This is actually probs going to be my quota for contemporary novels this year. I'll be shocked if I decide to pick up another one. (That's a lie, I'm going to read Me Before You by Jojo Moyes but is that really contemporary?)

Anywho, I felt as if today I could share with you why I dislike contemporary. Let's list this B***H up. (Sorry, but I'm really hyper for some reason and it just translates into my writing. I can't help it.)


  • Nothing Happens!

Contemporary novels are so boring! They are typically revolved around everyday life. I don't want to read a book about high school, I'm already living it myself! Throw in some zombies or the end of the world. I don't need all that added drama in my life! They put me to sleep and sometimes even put me in a reading slump. If you're looking for something sweet, they're great but I'm more in to action and adventure (where things actually happen). 

  • They're all the same

Basically, all contemporaries are love stories or deal with a backstabbing friend, yadda yadda yadda. It's really just the same plot with different characters in a somewhat different setting. There's some poor-me sob stories, or magical transformations how the nerdy girl is actually beautiful and always gets the guy. It just plain UGH! 

  • They're only great if your looking for some trash (of if you're feeling like trash yourself) 

Sometimes I just love reading the really trashy contemporaries because they're fun. When all this craps going on in real life, it's nice to know that someone's going through the same thing. Also, with fangirling (where are my fangirls at?) they are great at calming some of the feels. I'm really not sure why though. 

I stray away from the contemps. What about you? What's your favorite genre? Are you an action/adventure girl like me? Or do you just love the nice and easy reads? 

~~~
Side note: Be sure to go and check out my Instagram to see what I'm reading this month. Also, you can see some reviews that I haven't put up on my blog or my thoughts on a particular book! 

Post a Comment

4 Comments

  1. I don't really mind contemporaries since they tend to give me THE FEELS (which I like). They do become a bit predictable most of the time though. But some contemporaries do cover deep stuff (like mental illness or bullying) and/or don't focus on romance much, which I like reading as well.

    That being said, I'm not a huge fan of contemporaries though. My favorite genre is fantasy/sci-fi, and I usually branch out to contemporaries just to give myself a refresher. Can't bombard my brain with huge maps and tech stuff all the time or it'll explode. xD

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Sometimes I just need a break from all of that out-of-this-world stuff. I really do enjoy the contemporaries that cover suicide and whatnot, like All the Bright Places. Those always make me cry though, so I don't like to read them all the time.

      I feel like with contemporaries, it's a one time read; while reading sci-fi/fantasy, I always end up reading more than once. They don't have that excitement to keep drawing me in again and again. I've read my favorite book, Obsidian by JLA, about 8 times. I probably couldn't do that with All the Bright Places.

      Thanks for stopping by!
      -Kayl

      Delete
  2. I'm not a big fan of contemporary myself to be honest. The most recent I read was me Before You by Jojo Moyes (def contemporary) and otherwise I usually avoid them. And it's like you said, I find that all the stories feel the same and not much happens. That and I suppose I'm kind of an escapist reader so I need action and things happening. The last thing I want to read about is 'real life'.

    That being said, I don't mind, and enjoy some adult contemporaries, but I can NOT handle YA contemporary. I just can't. It bores me to death. I'm glad I'm not the only person who's not a big fan of contemp!

    Liselle @ Lunch-Time Librarian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adult contemporary's a thing? (Dumb question ik.) YAY! It makes me happy to see that it's not just something that I deal with. And that's an interesting way of describing it, an "escapist reader." I think I may be that too :)

      Thanks for stopping by!
      -Kayl

      Delete